The National Building Museum seeks individuals who are customer service oriented and who work well as part of a team to serve as part-time Visitor Services Representatives. This position monitors and cares for the Museum’s exhibitions, while interacting with public visitors to ensure a high-quality visitor experience.
These positions are part-time, requiring a minimum work schedule of 15 hours per week, and are paid hourly. The current hiring period is for May 1 – September 2, 2019 with the option to extend based on exhibition staffing requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Serve as the primary communication channel between the National Building Museum, Museum members and the general public.
• Ensure that visitors have positive and education experience at the National Building Museum. Engage with visitors by answering questions about the National Building Museum and individual exhibitions.
• Work in a variety of locations within the Museum, including the exhibition galleries, the information desk and the admission desk.
• Provide security within Museum exhibitions. Monitor the safety of Museum objects and Museum visitors. Complete daily opening and closing procedures as outlined by Visitor Services Managers.
Qualifications and Background
Specific qualifications include:
• A background or demonstrated interest in a Museum environment, the building arts or museum studies.
• Must be reliable, flexible and personable. Must also possess strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Preferred characteristics: creative, self-starter, problem solver, team player.
• Must be 18+ to apply.
• This is an active work position that requires the ability to move about the Museum frequently and to position oneself to interact & communicate appropriately with visitors.
• Employee may be responsible for moving objects up to 20 lbs. when needed.
• Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• When submitting your application via email, please reference the job title in the subject line “Visitor Services Representative.”
• Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.