Purpose of Position:
The information desk is the first stop of many visitors and provides crucial direction and sets the tone for their visit. Visitor Information Ambassadors explain available exhibitions and tours, answer questions about all aspects of the building and museum and the city in general. This position acts as the eyes and ears of the staff on the floor and offer valuable insights and suggestions to improve the visitor experience.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Knowledge of the museum’s exhibitions, tour offerings, programs, admissions costs, and facilities. (Supported by reference materials)
- Self-motived learning to stay up-to-date with changes in the museum and increase knowledge of the historic building and other topics.
- Answer visitors’ questions in-person and over the phone.
- Communicate with visitors of all ages and backgrounds and provide excellent customer service and problem solving.
- Strong communication skills
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Self-motivated learner
- At least one, three hour shift per month, preferably more. Information Desk shifts are Monday through Saturday 10 am to 1 pm and 1 pm to 4 pm, Sunday 11 am to 1 pm or 1 pm to 4 pm.
- Manage schedule and contact information in online volunteer system.
- Trainings: General volunteer orientation & on-line sexual harassment training. Desk training will be conducted by staff or a trained volunteer during the first 2 shifts. On-going trainings as required.
All Museum volunteer positions are unpaid; however, we will work with your academic institution to provide academic credit as needed. Position is open until filled. Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.