The National Building Museum inspires curiosity about the world we design and build. The work of the Education Department engages participants of all ages in a range of interdisciplinary activities and programs. The intended impact of the work is that participants investigate their own built world and value their role in shaping it for the future.
The Project Assistant supports the Design Apprenticeship Program, the Museum’s design build program for youth ages 13–18. This position is responsible for overseeing two teams of youth participants and adult volunteer instructors, acting as project manager. Other duties include assisting with program logistics and administrative tasks, classroom maintenance, implementing program curriculum, and facilitating construction.
The position commitment includes 8–10 hours per week from mid-September to early December 2019 at $14.60/hour; about 2 hours on Fridays for planning and set up (time varies) and Saturdays (9 am–4 pm).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Educator of Community Engagement (program manager) to implement activities for the Design Apprenticeship Program.
- Assist with program logistics and administrative tasks, classroom maintenance, and facilitating construction.
- Will act as a liaison between the Educator of Community Engagement and the volunteer instructors as appropriate, including keeping track of design process, communicating needs, and helping youth participants and volunteer instructors troubleshoot.
- Contribute to program documentation and promotion through photography and social media posts.
Qualifications and Requirements
Specific qualifications include:
- Experience with and enthusiasm for working in the city with a diverse group of youth ages 13–18.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Self-starter with attention to detail and experience with project management.
- 1-2 years’ experience (paid or unpaid) or degree in at least one of the following: architecture, urban planning, the design process, design education, the built environment, art, and/or museum education, or museum studies.
- Experience with workshop tools, power tools, or photography a plus.
- Experience modifying lessons and activities to meet different learning styles and abilities.
- This is an active work position that requires the ability to move about the Museum frequently and to position oneself to interact & communicate appropriately with camp participants. Employee may be responsible for moving objects up to 20 lbs. when needed.
- Offsite travel required as part of the position during the course of the work day.
This part-time position lasts from mid-September – early-December, 2019, which covers training and program wrap-up. This is a non-exempt/non-benefited position. Send cover letter and resume (Project Assistant: Design Apprenticeship Program) to firstname.lastname@example.org . Deadline for applications is September 6, 2019. No phone calls, please.