This position is responsible for teaching weekday school programs for classes of students, grades Pre-K-12th grade. Programs include exhibition experiences, group discussions, hands-on activities, and similar. Programs provide opportunities for students to discover something new about the built environment and their role in affecting it through playful exploration, open-ended inquiry and opportunities for dialogue. Teachers are also responsible for preparing materials and classrooms for the programs, as well as providing occasional administrative support. This position also supports the Education Department in other areas as needed included occasional weekend programs.
The position can be between 7-25 hours/week depending on availability. Typical weekday hours are 9:30 am to 12:30 pm, and/or 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm. This position lasts from mid-September 2018- mid-June 2019.
- Teach classes of 5-35 students, ranging from Pre-K3-12th graders
- Prepare classrooms and supplies for programs and clean up after program
- Collect payments, explain and enforce policies with school teachers
- Provide excellent customer service to teachers and parent chaperones.
- Provide administrative support as required
- Communicate clearly and quickly with Museum staff about scheduling and other logistics.
- Assist with other Education Department programming as required.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Experience working with groups of children aged 3-18 in an educational setting such as camp, museum education, after-school care, etc.
- Ability to work successfully as a member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to accomplish tasks independently
- Excellent communication skills with both children and adults from different backgrounds.
- Ability to handle unexpected situations calmly and professionally
- Course work and/or a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in education, recreation, museum studies, or related field
- Knowledge of or interest in architecture, design, engineering, and the built environment
The School Programs Teacher position can also be worked in conjunction with the Birthday Party Teacher position. If interested in being considered for both positions, please indicate your interest in your cover letter.
This is a non-exempt/non-benefited position. Send cover letter, resume, and availability to work (Attn: School Programs Teacher Position) to email@example.com. Initial hiring will be conducted in July and August of 2018; applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis from then through the remainder of the school year. No phone calls, please.