This position is responsible for facilitating weekend birthday parties for children ages 3-7. Teachers lead craft and story time activities, coordinate with parents, and collect payments due. Parties take place on Saturdays and Sundays during the day, with the option for materials prep on Friday afternoons. This position also supports the Education Department in other areas as needed.
The position is 3.5-12 hours/week late-September 2019 to late June 2020 at $14.60/hour.
Applications accepted through August 23, 2019.
- Facilitate story readings, educational play activities, and theme-related craft activities
- Prepare for, set up, and clean up party
- Collect payments, explain and enforce policies with parents
- Provide excellent customer service to party parents and guests
- Communicate clearly and in a timely way with Museum staff about scheduling and other logistics
- Assist with other Education Department programming as required.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Experience working with groups of children ages 3-7 in an educational setting such as camp, museum education, after-school care, etc.
- Ability to work successfully as a member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to accomplish tasks independently
- Excellent communication skills with both children and adults from different backgrounds
- Ability to handle unexpected situations calmly and professionally
- Course work and/or a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in education, recreation, museum studies, or related field
- Knowledge of or interest in architecture, design, engineering, and the built environment
- This is an active work position that requires the ability to move about the Museum frequently and to position oneself to interact & communicate appropriately with participants. Employee may be responsible for moving objects up to 20 lbs. when needed.
This is a non-exempt/non-benefited position. Send cover letter, resume, and availability to work (Attn: Birthday Party Teacher Position) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis from then through the remainder of the school year. No phone calls, please.