Marketing and Communications
The National Building Museum inspires curiosity about the world we design and build.
We are a private, nonprofit institution, created by Congress in 1980 to commemorate American achievements in architecture, design, and engineering and to encourage excellence in the building arts.
Today, the National Building Museum transforms understanding of the history and impact of architecture, engineering, landscape architecture, and design. Through exhibitions, educational programs, and special events, we welcome all ages to experience stories about the built world and its power to shape our lives, communities, and futures.
The Marketing & Communications Associate will be part of the National Building Museum’s Marketing and Communications Department, which is responsible for branding initiatives, the museum’s website and social media channels, marketing the museum’s exhibitions and public programs, external relations including working with the press, publications, and advertising. The department’s objective is to increase the profile, visibility, and reputation of the Museum.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop communications and promotional strategies, including messaging for different audiences (public, press, sponsors, other stakeholders)
- Develop and edit video content for website and social media. Some filming required.
- Develop and execute social and multimedia tactics and website initiatives that drive awareness and attendance.
- Write and edit original content for various communications efforts; manage editorial processes and production.
- Respond to queries from the public and media in a timely, thorough manner.
- Manage Museum’s Google Ads account
- Perform some data analytics, especially regarding social media engagement
- Coordinate with local blogs and nonprofits to amplify the Museum’s reach
- Occasional evening and weekend work
Qualifications and Background
The ideal candidate is highly creative with a wide range of experience using different channels in a marketing or promotional capacity. The Associate will support the entire department’s endeavors, including content production and editing, advertising, press relations, and other initiatives as they arise. They are enthusiastic about the mission of the Museum and knowledgeable about the D.C. cultural community.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, or a related field preferred.
- Candidates should have 1-2 years of experience in a promotional, marketing, and/or media relations capacity. Volunteer or school experience is valid.
- Video editing and production knowledge and experience
- Photography skills a plus
- Experience with a content management system, online promotion, and online content development; Blackbaud and WordPress a plus
- The ability to work collaboratively on multiple projects with multiple stakeholders simultaneously within limited timeframes
- Excellent written and communication skills
- A good understanding of marketing principles including planning, advertising, and design and a demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively about developing and extending messaging through different promotional and communication vehicles
- While largely sedentary, this position requires the ability to sit, stand, speak, and hear, sometimes for extended periods of time.
- Requires the ability to use a computer and office equipment traditionally found in office settings.
Submit resume, cover letter, and video sample to email@example.com.