The Education Department is looking for friendly, energetic, personable individuals to provide support for all-ages educational programming. The main role of program volunteers is to provide a positive, meaningful museum experience by interacting with and facilitating hands-on experiences with visitors of all ages. In addition, program volunteers gather and prepare supplies, help with set-up and clean-up, and assist visitors with wayfinding.
This summer explore Fun House and help visitors understand Snarkitecture’s playful approach to design through pop-up programming and hands on activities.
Visit the National Building Museum online calendar to see examples.
- An energetic, genuine, and personable approach to working with visitors of all ages
- Excellent communication skills, able to present information with great clarity and enthusiasm
- Willingness to work both alone and in a team setting with staff and other volunteers
- Able to stand for extended periods of time
- Able to use computers to track and communicate volunteer work duty and hours
Educational programming during the summer takes place primarily during Museum operating hours (10 am-5 pm). Additional hours may be available during our Late Night programming, which occurs every Wednesday evening from 6-9 pm and early access mornings which take place from 9-11 am. Shifts are usually 4 hours. Any calendar changes will be communicated to you as soon as they are confirmed.
*Volunteers must commit to be available for at least two shifts per month.
Additionally, volunteers must attend one of the training and orientation sessions offered on June 9 (10:00am-12:00pm) or June 12 (6:30-8:30pm).
Volunteers sign up for shifts within two weeks of the program and prepare for their assignments by reading advance materials. Regular communication is by email, and Education Program Volunteers consistently communicate schedule changes, and find substitutes for shifts they have signed up for if their schedule changes.
- 20% Discount in the Museum Shop
- 10% Discount at Firehook Café in the museum
- Parking in museum lot for your shift (if available)
- Attending Lectures, films, and other public programs
- (5) Complimentary Summer Admissions Tickets (Includes access to Fun House, and Late Nights)
How to Apply
We are currently seeking volunteers for summer programming. Applications are due by May 25, 2018.