Purpose of Position
The Education Department is looking for friendly, energetic, personable individuals to provide support for all-ages educational programming. The main role of program volunteers is to provide a positive, meaningful museum experience by interacting with and facilitating hands-on experiences with visitors of all ages. Visit the National Building Museum online calendar to see examples.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Support and facilitate educational programming with an energetic, genuine, and personable approach to working with visitors of all ages
- Communicate with visitors of all ages and backgrounds, presenting educational programs with great clarity and enthusiasm
- Gather and prepare supplies, help with set-up and clean-up, and assist visitors with wayfinding
- Strong communication
- Willingness to work both alone and in a team setting with staff and other volunteers
- Able to stand for extended periods of time
- Demonstrate flexibility
- Experience, or interest, in engaging learners of all ages in hands-on activities
- At least two, three hour shifts per month, preferably more. Educational Program Volunteer shifts are typically Monday through Saturday 9:45 am–12:45 pm and 1–4 pm, Sunday 10:45 am–1:15 pm and 1–4 pm (any calendar changes, or additional programming, will be communicated to you as soon as they are confirmed)
- High need seasons include summer and winter months
- Manage schedule and contact information in online volunteer system
- Regular communication is by email, through which facilitation information is shared and Education Program Volunteers consistently communicate schedule changes
- Training: General volunteer orientation and online sexual harassment training. Education Program Volunteer training will be conducted by staff or a trained volunteer prior to your first shift. Ongoing training as required.
All Museum volunteer positions are unpaid; however, we will work with your academic institution to provide academic credit as needed. Position is open until filled. Please send your resume to email@example.com.