The National Building Museum inspires curiosity about the world we design and build.
We are a private, nonprofit institution, created by Congress in 1980 to commemorate American achievements in architecture, design, and engineering and to encourage excellence in the building arts.
Today, the National Building Museum transforms understanding of the history and impact of architecture, engineering, landscape architecture, and design. Through exhibitions, educational programs, and special events, we welcome all ages to experience stories about the built world and its power to shape our lives, communities, and futures.
The Director will lead the National Building Museum’s Marketing and Communications Department, which is responsible for branding initiatives, the museum’s website and social media channels, marketing the museum’s exhibitions and public programs, external relations including working with the press, publications, and advertising. The department’s objective is to increase the profile, visibility, and reputation of the Museum.
This is a senior level position and it will be incumbent upon the director to establish goals and priorities for the department, working with the Executive Director and other senior staff members to continue to amplify the Museum’s messaging.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee department of five, including managing personnel, recruiting, hiring, conducting performance reviews, and establishing KPIS for each fiscal year.
- Develop and execute comprehensive marketing campaigns, including strategies for press, paid media, owned marketing channels, and social media.
- Manage media relations for the Museum. Write press releases, pitch stories, respond to press inquiries, and ensure media coverage. Develop and maintain positive relationships with journalists.
- Represent the department with the Board of Trustees, reporting on campaigns and plans as needed.
- Develop and manage department budget. Evaluate contracts and media technologies to ensure best fit for the organization.
- Work with in house graphic designers to manage all graphic design projects from conception to delivery. Ensure consistent brand and style throughout owned channels.
- Oversee content creation for all social media platforms, emails, postcards, brochures, onsite signage, invitations, blog posts, web pages, and fundraising pitch materials
- Write news articles, exhibition panels, advertisements, speeches, fundraising pitch materials, and more.
Qualifications and Background
The ideal candidate is highly creative with a wide range of experience using different channels in a marketing or promotional capacity. They are an experienced leader and able to juggle multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously. They are enthusiastic about the mission of the Museum and knowledgeable about the D.C. cultural community.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, or a related field preferred.
- Candidates should have 5-7 years of experience in a promotional, marketing, and/or media relations capacity.
- Supervisory experience
- Experience with a content management system, online promotion, and online content development; Blackbaud and WordPress a plus
- The ability to work collaboratively on multiple projects with multiple stakeholders simultaneously within limited timeframes
- Excellent written and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to write for different audiences and purposes
- An excellent understanding of marketing principles including planning, advertising, and design and a demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively about developing and extending messaging through different promotional and communication vehicles
- While largely sedentary, this position requires the ability to sit, stand, speak, and hear, sometimes for extended periods of time.
- Requires the ability to use a computer and office equipment traditionally found in office settings.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Aurelia Akpan at email@example.com by November 22, 2019 for consideration