The Museum appreciates its volunteers and strives to give them meaningful and satisfying assignments. Volunteers enhance our ability to make the Museum a premier cultural institution. We're currently recruiting dedicated volunteers who are eager to explore the world we build for ourselves. We offer a variety of volunteer opportunities and benefits:
The National Building Museum volunteer program is looking for decidated, self motivated individuals who are passionate about sharing the built environment with our visitors. Volunteers are asked to dedicate at least one shift per month for 12 calendar months to the program. Scheduling is flexible and training is provided.
We are currently not accepting any applications for this program. Please check back soon for more opportunities.
Outreach Programs is looking for design professionals in all fields, educators, and those interested in working with teenagers for our multi-visit, experiential programs, CityVision and the Design Apprenticeship Program. These programs teach local teens how to observe more closely and look for ways to change the world around them.
- CityVision brings 30 D.C. public school middle school students to the Museum every Thursday during the school year to learn about urban planning and architecture. Volunteers assist Museum staff as participants learn about the basics of design, explore development sites throughout the District, and propose their own solutions to improve D.C.
- The Design Apprenticeship Program meets for seven to eight Saturdays and brings together 30 youth from the D.C. metro area to learn the basics of design and construction. Volunteers actively instruct and assist the teens as they explore materials, learn to use power tools, and work in teams to fabricate their final product. Volunteer recruitment for DAP II spring 2013 will begin in January, please submit your application then.
- Be enthusiastic about working with youth and allow them to guide their design process
- Consistently attend sessions according to predetermined schedule (ideally every week, but Outreach staff can work with you to find schedules to accommodate working professionals)
- Attend training and orientation sessions, and complete all required paperwork
- Satisfaction of mentoring and guiding the next generation of designers
- Both programs eligible for continuing education credits and IDP
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to be involved? Fill out the application here: Outreach Programs volunteer application
Volunteers are an integral part of the Museum's daily operations. In our fiscal year 2013, the Museum's volunteers contributed a total of 11,440 hours. Volunteering at the National Building Museum requires a commitment of time, enthusiasm, and interest.
Benefits of volunteering include:
- Discount in the Museum Shop
- Discount in the cafe
- Monthly calendar of events
- Free admission tickets (four per month)
- Free admission to the Museum's public programs and lectures
- Educational opportunities such as monthly enrichment trips, volunteer continuing education, and curatorial overviews and tours
- Annual volunteer appreciation dinner and awards ceremony
- Access to the Museum’s volunteer office and library
Questions? Contact the volunteer manager at 202.272.2448, ext. 3302 or email@example.com.